Self-Sponsored Green Card
There are two typical self-sponsored green card (Lawful Permanent Residency card) categories in which a foreign national does not need sponsorship by their employer or a relative - victims of crime and individuals of extraordinary ability. A foreign national can self-petition in either category whether they are living inside or outside the United States.
Victims of Crime/ VAWA Based Green Card
A foreign national who is a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual violence, or stalking may qualify for self-petition and a Lawful Permanent Resident card (green card) under the Violence against Women Act (VAWA). VAWA legislation allows spouses and children of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), who are not citizens, to self-petition to obtain a green card without the assistance of their abuser. The protection applies to both men and women. You may qualify to self-petition if you are a victim of abuse in one of the following situations:
- You have been abused by your U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident spouse
- You are the spouse of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and he/she has abused your child
- You have been abused by a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parent
- You have been abused by your adult U.S. Citizen Child (Please note that parent of a Lawful Permanent Resident does not qualify for self-petition in this category.)
For more information, please click here to visit VAWA Based Green Card page.
EB1-A Alien of Extraordinary Ability
To acquire Legal Permanent Residency based on extraordinary ability, a foreign national must fall into one of two categories - extraordinary ability in their field or outstanding professors or researchers.
The EB1-A category is available to foreign nationals of “extraordinary” ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. The foreign national must provide supporting documentation evidencing they meet the statutory requirements of this category as well as clear and convincing evidence that he/she is coming to the United States to continue work in their area of expertise. For more information, please click here to visit EB1-A Alien of Extraordinary Ability page.
EB1-B Outstanding Professors or Researchers
The EB1-B Outstanding Professors or Researchers category is utilized for an immigrant visa by foreign nationals who are internationally recognized as outstanding in a specific academic field. To qualify as an Outstanding Researcher/Professor, a foreign national is required to meet three basic requirements:
- must be internationally recognized as outstanding in a specific academic field
- prove they have at least three years experience teaching or conducting significantresearch
- provide evidence that they will enter the U.S. in a tenure-tracking or comparable research position
For more information, please click here to visit EB1-B Outstanding Professor or Researchers page.
At The Ahluwalia Firm, our emphasis is on:
- providing zealous representation before the USCIS
- providing careful review of your personal circumstances
- providing careful coordination of all correspondence with government agencies
- ensuring a service-delivery model that meets and exceeds your satisfaction
For additional information about our ability to prepare, and file all the necessary documents required to obtain self-sponsored green card, contact us for reliable advice.