Nonimmigrant Visa Categories

Overview of Nonimmigrant Visa Categories

Nonimmigrant visas are for international visitors coming to the United States for temporary stays, which can range from days to several years, depending on the visa type. Unlike immigrant visas, nonimmigrant visas do not allow holders to obtain permanent residency (a Green Card). Here is a breakdown of some of the primary nonimmigrant visa categories:

1. Tourism and Visit (B-1/B-2)

B-1 visa is for those visiting the U.S. for business purposes such as attending conferences, consultations, or negotiating contracts.

B-2 visa is for tourists on vacation or visiting family and friends. It is also for people coming for medical treatment, social events, or participation in amateur contests for no pay.

2. Student Visas (F and M)

F-1 visas are for students attending an academic program or English Language Program at a US college or university.

M-1 visas are for students engaged in vocational or non-academic studies.

3. Work Visas

Several visa categories fall under this classification, each tailored for a specific employment purpose:

H-1B visa is for individuals employed in specialty occupations that require higher education.

L-1 visa is for intra-company transferees who are managers, executives, or possess specialized knowledge.

O visas are for individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

4. Exchange Visitor (J)

J-1 visa is for individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S. Participants include students, scholars, teachers, interns, au pairs, and summer work travelers.

5. Diplomatic and Official (A, G)

A visas are for diplomats and foreign government officials traveling to the United States to engage in official activities.

G visas are for representatives of international organizations and their immediate family members.

6. Temporary Work and Trainee Visas (H-2A, H-2B)

H-2A visas are for temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.

H-2B visas are for temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers.

7. NAFTA Professional (TN) Visa

TN visa is for citizens of Canada and Mexico, as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), who wish to engage in professional business activities in the U.S.

8. Specialty Visas

K visas are for the fiancé(e)s, spouses, and certain family members of U.S. citizens.

This overview highlights the diversity of nonimmigrant visas available for those looking to come to the United States for temporary periods. Each visa category has specific requirements, conditions, and allowed activities. It’s crucial for potential applicants to understand the appropriate visa category for their purpose of visit and to comply with the visa’s terms to ensure a lawful and enjoyable stay in the U.S.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.