Frequently Asked Questions on E-1 Visa

What is an E-1 visa?
An E-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individuals from treaty countries to enter the United States for the purpose of engaging in international trade.
Who is eligible for an E-1 visa?
Citizens of countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States may be eligible for an E-1 visa if they are coming to the U.S. solely to engage in substantial trade between the U.S. and their home country.
What qualifies as substantial trade for an E-1 visa?
Substantial trade refers to the continuous flow of sizable international trade items, including goods, services, and international banking, insurance, transportation, tourism, and technology transfer.
Can I work for any employer on an E-1 visa?
No, E-1 visa holders are only authorized to work for the U.S. enterprise that is engaged in substantial trade with their home country. However, their dependents may be eligible to apply for work authorization to work for any employer in the U.S.
How long can I stay in the U.S. on an E-1 visa?
E-1 visa holders can typically stay in the U.S. for an initial period of up to two years. Extensions of stay are available in increments of up to two years, with no maximum limit as long as the E-1 enterprise continues to engage in substantial trade.
Can my family members accompany me on an E-1 visa?
Yes, E-1 visa holders can bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the U.S. as dependents on E-1 visas. Dependents are allowed to study in the U.S. and may also apply for work authorization.
Can I apply for a green card (permanent residency) on an E-1 visa?
While the E-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa and does not directly lead to permanent residency, E-1 visa holders may be eligible to apply for a green card through other immigration pathways, such as employment-based or family-based sponsorship, if they meet the eligibility criteria.
What is the process for obtaining an E-1 visa?
The process for obtaining an E-1 visa involves several steps, including establishing the eligibility of the applicant and the qualifying U.S. enterprise, preparing and submitting the necessary visa application documents, attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and complying with any additional requirements specified by the consulate.
Can I switch to an E-1 visa from another visa category while in the U.S.?
In most cases, individuals already in the U.S. on another non-immigrant visa may not switch to an E-1 visa status while in the U.S. They would typically need to apply for an E-1 visa from outside the U.S. at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
What happens if the E-1 enterprise ceases substantial trade?
If the E-1 enterprise ceases substantial trade or operations, the E-1 visa holder and their dependents may be required to leave the U.S. However, they may also explore other immigration options or seek extensions of stay if they meet certain criteria.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.