Frequently Asked Questions on E-3 Visa

What is an E-3 visa?
An E-3 visa is a non-immigrant visa specifically for citizens of Australia, allowing them to work in the United States in specialty occupations.
How is the E-3 visa different from other work visas?
The E-3 visa is similar to the H-1B visa, but it is exclusively for citizens of Australia and has its own separate application process and requirements.
Who is eligible for an E-3 visa?
To be eligible for an E-3 visa, individuals must be citizens of Australia, have a legitimate offer of employment in the United States in a specialty occupation, possess the necessary qualifications for the position, and meet the other requirements specified by the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
What qualifies as a specialty occupation for an E-3 visa?
A specialty occupation is one that requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge, and the attainment of a bachelor's degree or higher in a specific specialty, or its equivalent.
Can I bring my family members on an E-3 visa?
Yes, E-3 visa holders can bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States as dependents on E-3D visas. Dependents are allowed to study in the U.S. and may also apply for work authorization.
How long can I stay in the U.S. on an E-3 visa?
Initially, E-3 visa holders can stay in the U.S. for up to two years, with the possibility of renewing their visa indefinitely in two-year increments as long as they continue to meet the requirements for the visa.
Can I switch jobs on an E-3 visa?
Yes, E-3 visa holders can change employers, but the new employer must file a new Labor Condition Application (LCA) and obtain approval from the Department of Labor. Additionally, the E-3 visa holder must notify USCIS of the change of employer.
Can I apply for a green card (permanent residency) on an E-3 visa?
Yes, E-3 visa holders may be eligible to apply for a green card through employment-based immigration pathways if they meet the eligibility criteria for permanent residency.
What is the process for obtaining an E-3 visa?
The process for obtaining an E-3 visa involves several steps, including obtaining a certified Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor, preparing and submitting the necessary visa application documents, attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and complying with any additional requirements specified by the consulate.
How early can I apply for an E-3 visa before my intended date of employment in the U.S.?
E-3 visa applicants can typically apply for their visa up to 90 days before their intended date of employment in the U.S.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.