Frequently Asked Questions on O Visa

What is an O visa?
An O visa is a non-immigrant visa category reserved for individuals who possess extraordinary ability or achievement in their field, including the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics.
What are the different types of O visas?

There are three types of O visas:

O-1A visa: for individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics.

O-1B visa: for individuals with extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.

O-2 visa: for individuals who accompany and assist O-1 visa holders in their performances or events.

Who is eligible for an O visa?
Individuals who have reached the top of their field and have sustained national or international acclaim in their area of expertise may be eligible for an O visa. They must provide evidence of their extraordinary ability or achievement, as well as a job offer or contract from a U.S. employer.
What qualifies as evidence of extraordinary ability or achievement for an O visa?
Evidence may include awards, prizes, recognition from peers or organizations, memberships in prestigious associations, publications, media coverage, or significant contributions to the field.
Can I apply for an O visa if I am self-employed?
Yes, individuals who are self-employed may be eligible for an O visa if they can demonstrate that they have an ongoing employment relationship with a U.S. employer or agent who will sponsor their visa application.
Can I bring my family members on an O visa?
Yes, O-1 and O-2 visa holders can bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States as dependents on O-3 visas. Dependents are allowed to study in the U.S. but are not permitted to work unless they obtain their own work authorization.
How long can I stay in the U.S. on an O visa?
O-1 and O-2 visa holders can initially stay in the U.S. for up to three years, with the possibility of extensions in one-year increments as long as they continue to meet the requirements for the visa.
Can I switch jobs on an O visa?
Yes, O visa holders can change employers, but the new employer must file a new petition on the employee's behalf and obtain approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Can I apply for a green card (permanent residency) on an O visa?
Yes, O visa holders may be eligible to apply for a green card through employment-based immigration pathways if they meet the eligibility criteria for permanent residency.
What is the process for obtaining an O visa?
The process for obtaining an O visa involves several steps, including preparing and submitting the necessary visa application documents, obtaining a job offer or contract from a U.S. employer or agent, attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and complying with any additional requirements specified by the consulate.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.