Frequently Asked Questions on P Visa

What is a P visa?
A P visa is a non-immigrant visa category designed for athletes, entertainers, artists, and performers who wish to come to the United States temporarily to perform, compete, or participate in an event.
What are the different types of P visas?

There are several types of P visas:

P-1A visa: for internationally recognized athletes or athletic teams.

P-1B visa: for internationally recognized entertainers or members of internationally recognized entertainment groups.

P-2 visa: for artists or entertainers who are part of a reciprocal exchange program.

P-3 visa: for artists or entertainers who are part of a culturally unique program.

Who is eligible for a P visa?
Individuals or groups who have been internationally recognized for their achievements in sports, entertainment, arts, or culture may be eligible for a P visa. They must have a sponsor in the U.S., such as a sports team, entertainment company, or cultural organization.
What qualifies as evidence of international recognition for a P visa?
Evidence may include awards, prizes, nominations, critical reviews, media coverage, endorsements, or other forms of recognition from experts, peers, or industry organizations in the field.
Can I bring my family members on a P visa?
Yes, P visa holders can bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States as dependents on P-4 visas. Dependents are allowed to study in the U.S. but are not permitted to work unless they obtain their own work authorization.
How long can I stay in the U.S. on a P visa?
The duration of stay on a P visa varies depending on the specific type of P visa and the terms of the sponsorship or event. Generally, P visa holders can stay in the U.S. for the duration of their performance, event, or competition, up to a maximum period specified by USCIS.
Can I switch sponsors or events on a P visa?
P visa holders can change sponsors or events, but the new sponsor must file a new petition on the applicant's behalf and obtain approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before the change can take effect.
Can I apply for a green card (permanent residency) on a P visa?
P visa holders may be eligible to apply for a green card through employment-based immigration pathways if they meet the eligibility criteria for permanent residency. However, the process for obtaining a green card can be complex and may require sponsorship by a U.S. employer or other qualifying entity.
What is the process for obtaining a P visa?
The process for obtaining a P visa involves several steps, including preparing and submitting the necessary visa application documents, obtaining a sponsorship or contract from a U.S. employer or organization, attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and complying with any additional requirements specified by the consulate.
How early can I apply for a P visa before my intended performance, event, or competition in the U.S.?
P visa applicants can typically apply for their visa as soon as they have a confirmed sponsorship or contract for their performance, event, or competition in the U.S.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.