Frequently Asked Questions on TN Visa Category

What is the TN visa category?
The TN visa category allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to temporarily work in the United States in certain professional occupations that are listed in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
Who is eligible for a TN visa?

To be eligible for a TN visa, an individual must:

Be a citizen of Canada or Mexico.

Have a job offer from a U.S. employer in a profession listed in NAFTA.

Possess the necessary qualifications, such as a degree or relevant work experience, for the profession.

What professions are eligible for the TN visa?
The TN visa is available for a wide range of professional occupations, including but not limited to: engineers, scientists, computer systems analysts, lawyers, accountants, teachers, and management consultants. A full list of eligible professions can be found in the NAFTA agreement.
How long can I stay in the United States on a TN visa?
TN visa holders can initially stay in the United States for up to three years. Extensions of stay are possible in increments of up to three years, with no maximum limit on the total length of stay.
Can I bring my family members with me on a TN visa?
Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of TN visa holders are eligible to accompany them to the United States under the TD visa category. TD visa holders are not allowed to work in the United States, but they can attend school or college.
Can I change employers while on a TN visa?
TN visa holders can change employers in the United States, but they must obtain a new TN visa status with the new employer. This typically involves filing a new TN petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or, for Canadians, presenting a new job offer at the port of entry.
Can I apply for permanent residency (green card) while on a TN visa?
Yes, TN visa holders can apply for permanent residency in the United States. However, they must first obtain a dual intent visa status, such as an H-1B visa, to pursue permanent residency without jeopardizing their TN status.
Can I apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy abroad?
Yes, citizens of Canada and Mexico can apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country. Canadian citizens also have the option of applying for a TN visa directly at a port of entry.
What documents do I need to apply for a TN visa?
The specific documents required for a TN visa application may vary depending on the individual's profession and circumstances. Generally, applicants will need a valid job offer letter from a U.S. employer, proof of citizenship, and evidence of qualifications for the profession.
How long does it take to process a TN visa application?
Processing times for TN visa applications can vary depending on factors such as the workload at the U.S. consulate or embassy and the completeness of the application. Generally, it can take several weeks to a few months for a TN visa application to be processed.


Dear Mr. Ahluwalia, I would like to thank you for all your help with Dr. xxx case. She and I were very impressed with your services and the professionalism that you showed both of us. I am referring you to a very good friend of mine who is opening a manufacturing plant and wants to bring his brother in as a partner/investor/employee from Italy. I am forwarding your information for xxxx to contact you and make arrangements accordingly. Thank you for all your help.

Dr. F.

Inderjit, thank you so very much. I sincerely appreciate all the effort you took to get this approved and your incredible patience. As xxx mentioned, we will only work with you for all our future H1's. Thanks once again.


Inderjit handled our immigration matter in reference to my parents. We approached him and found him extremely pleasant to work with. In addition to his knowledge of the law, he guided us very well throughout the process. I would recommend him very strongly to anyone in matter of immigration.

Ajay (Avvo Reviewer)


Fill out the contact form or call us at 408.981.7696 to schedule your consultation.